How to Make Hydrogen Peroxide Toothpaste
All shopping centers have a large section exclusively for toothpastes and other oral hygiene products. Most of us probably have a ‘favorite’ brand that we are loyal to likely only because of the advertisements. It’s a fact though that most if not all toothpastes are made of the same ingredients- some whitener usually H2O2, fluorides as abrasives, surfactants as additional cleaners and sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) to get that foam. All the rest of the ingredients being simply for variety and taste with no special importance.
This being the case, hydrogen peroxide toothpaste can be made at home and save you much while getting the same results. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
• Bowl to do the mixing
• 1/2 cup Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
• 1/4 cup H2O2
• Peppermint oil for flavor
Once you have those ready, follow these simple steps:
1. Put the baking soda into the bowl. Baking soda is a natural whitener and also helps as an abrasive. It reacts with acids to produce carbon dioxide thus giving you the foam when you brush.
2. Add the hydrogen peroxide. This acts as a bleacher and kills germs. Make sure you only get the 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
3. Add the peppermint oil. This obviously is to get you that fresh feeling after you brush.
4. Thoroughly mix the solution until it becomes a paste. You can decide to add either of the main ingredients until you get the consistency you need
5. Find a suitable place to store it. A plastic squeeze would be best or anything that closes tightly.
You’ve just made your first H2O2 toothpaste! You should only have spent no more than a couple of dollars since everything you need is probably already in your kitchen. Why spend precious time finding your ‘branded’ toothpaste when you can make it in the comfort of your own home?